The United Nations is moving some of its staff from Sudan, UN spokesperson Eri Kaneko said Wednesday, as the death toll from a crackdown on protesters soared to more than 100, Reuters reported.
“We are temporarily relocating non-programme-critical UN staff, while all UN operations continue in Sudan”, Eri Kaneko announced.
Dozens were killed and hundreds injured when the army descended on a tent camp in Khartoum on Monday. It was set up outside military headquarters to demand the immediate transition to civilian rule after the deposition of President Omar Bashir in April.
On Wednesday, the Central Committee of Sudan Doctors said that the bodies of dead protestors had been taken to an unknown destination by militia fighters that support the ruling Transitional Military Council.
Internet remained blocked in Sudan on Wednesday, the committee said. It expects a complete disruption in cell phone services.
Following the crackdown, Transitional Military Council (TMC) head Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan, in a televised address to the nation, called for a general election to be held in the country within nine months and announced the termination of talks with the opposition. He also said that an interim government would be created to rule the country until the elections.The United States, United Kingdom and Norway in a joint statement on Tuesday denounced the proposed TMC’s plan and called for a peaceful transfer of power to civilians and demanding the immediate installation of a civilian-led government.
Months of anti-government protests in Sudan culminated in a military coup on 11 April. The TMC came to power and pledged to hold a new election within two years. Then-President Omar Bashir, who had been in power for 30 years, was overthrown and then imprisoned. However, protests have continued, with demonstrators demanding that the military hand over power to a new civilian government.
Source: News Agencies