The Central Committee of Sudan Doctors reportedly claimed Wednesday that the number of deaths in the violent breakup of a sit-in in the Sudanese capital rose to 100 after 40 bodies were pulled from the Nile.
Hundreds were also reportedly injured when the army descended on the tent camp in Khartoum on Monday. Meanwhile, the Sudanese Health Ministry said early on Thursday, cited by the state-run news agency SUNA, that the death toll from the recent violence did not exceed 46, according to Reuters.
“Only several people died during the mopping-up operation, carried out by the joint forces in the ‘Columbia’ [district in Khartoum], and further actions”, Deputy Health Minister Abdul Jabbar said, cited by SUNA.
On Wednesday, the US Department of State called on Sudan’s military to “desist from violence” and urged for the resumption of talks with protesters. “The United States condemns the recent attacks on protesters in Sudan”, State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement.Months of anti-government protests in Sudan culminated in a military coup on 11 April. The TMC came to power and pledged to hold a new election within two years. Then-President Omar Bashir, who had been in power for 30 years, was overthrown and later imprisoned. The protests have continued, however, with demonstrators demanding that the Transitional Military Council (TMC) hand over power to a new civilian government.On Tuesday, TMC head Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan called for a general election to be organized within nine months and said that talks with the opposition were terminated over the latter’s attempts to exclude other political forces from participating in the country’s future administration. He also said that an interim government would be created to rule the country until the elections.
The United States, United Kingdom, and Norway in a joint statement denounced the TMC’s plan and called for an immediate transfer of power to a civilian government.
Source: News Agencies